Monday, November 22, 2010

My Life in Books

One goal I have for my future child is that he likes to read. After receiving a facebook post about which 6 out of 100 books listed by the BBC have I read , I started contemplating all the really good books that have been in my life. So I am starting a chronological lists of the books that have shaped me and my life. Perhaps these could become a list of what to read if you want a bibliophile for a child.

Books from 0-6 months

1- The Old Man and the Sea- Hemingway
I have never read this. I just felt I should start here because this is the book my father read while I was being born. It was a diferent time then, so he sat and read this book in the waiting room of the hospital until the nurse announced that I had arrived. Don't fel too bad for my mom though. She has stated that she slept most of the day. Awoke. Had 5 contractions and I was delivered. (My head was actually delivered before my mom buzzed the nurse to let her know I was coming.)

2- The Odyssey- Homer
My dad always said one of his goals as a father was to have me enjoy reading. He also stated that he was utterly clueless about what to do with a baby. Case in point- first day back from the hospital, my mom asks him to check on me in my crib. He returns to say that he checked and I am still there. He had no idea what he was suppose to check on.

So to get to know me, he would sit by my crib and read the Odyssey to me. Why the Odyssey? I don't know, but I have assumed it was a book he had been assigned to read for one of his college classes. As a story that was part of the oral tradition long before it was written down, it was probably an excellent choice.

I have wondered if the influence of the Odyssey lead me to take Latin and Greek Mythology in middle school. I read the Odyssey on my own during hte summer before 7th grade, which led me to chose the mythological name of Calliope for Latin Club. I also convinced my eventual best-friend to take the name Penelope.

Obviously I don't remember being read these books, but they are part of my family legend/history. It's a reading legacy I hope to pass on to my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment