Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Food of the Gods

Since becoming pregnant, many people ask me if I have any strange cravings. Nothing strange so far, but there are some specific foods that I crave for a period of time, and then stop caring about. What is strange, is that I have gone from liking pretty much all foods (except oysters) to having some very distinct dislikes.

Early on,when the morning sickness was horrible, the most delicious thing I could imagine eating was a cheeseburger. As a result, Tom bought lots of Bubba Burgers so he could grill them at home for me. We still have two left, because I am now totally indifferent to cheeseburgers. Cantaloupe enjoyed its place in the spotlight for a fortnight. Other foods, like Mexican food and tomatoes have always been my favorites and continue to be. Eggs on the other hand, disgust me, when once I could easily eat 6-12 deviled eggs by myself.

Most recently, I have been craving my mother's potato salad. This is an issue. You should know that my mother makes the best potato salad in the world. Now I know you may think your mother or someone else you knows makes the best potato salad. It is normal to believe that because typically one's family sets the norm for what you consider to be delicious, so I accept that you believe your mom's potato salad is the best. Just suffice it to say, that when my mom makes her potato salad, she must make it in 10-20 pound batches because people send containers over to get some of her potato salad. It is truly that good.

Now those that don't know my mom may wonder why this is an issue. Well my mom is in Oklahoma and I'm in Maryland. She can't safely ship her potato salad to me. I am also sad to admit, that I have never made her potato salad. (When you have Michelangelo painting your ceiling, do you grab the paintbrush? No, you sit back and marvel at the genius.)

Well this weekend I took potato peeler in hand and made my first attempt. First, I received directions from mom, not a recipe, but directions. You must understand that there is no recipe, just Do's and Don't's and tasting for perfection. I have to declare, the potato salad a success. It is creamy, but still has chunks of potatoes. It isn't dominated by one ingredient, like mayonnaise or mustard, but instead is a harmonious blend that shows of the potatoes. Thankfully Tom agrees, because I made 5 pounds of potato salad. It is so yummy and reminds me of home and love and my mom.

That's a relief. It would be horrible if Ii had disliked it or been indifferent to it. The other strange food response has been chocolate. Before becoming pregnant, i adored chocolate. I love dark chocolate, because it was just extra chocolate. Now I am completely indifferent. I see it, I acknowledge it, but the passion, the cravings that have been a constant in my life are gone. I have joked that this means I'm having a boy, because if i was carrying another female, that would only increase my love of chocolate. Today Tom and I found out that I was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment