Thursday, May 13, 2010

All My Exes Live in Texas

I've been thinking of ex-boyfriends lately because one of my former students has gone through a rough break-up this semester. It's easy, to forget what those days were like, now that Tom and I have been together for almost 4 years. Everything with him has been so easy, that looking back it is obvious that all my Mr. Wrongs were simply wrong for me. I could make a bad boyfriend behavior list, but I don't because I am sure I could as easily appear on a bad girlfriend list.

However, I was a single woman for so many years, that my natural allegiance still lies with them. Life does get better when you are no longer in your twenties, when you know yourself enough to know what you want. It's easier to weed out the truly suitable as well as the ones you're just not into. But the twenties are still hard. I think there is so much pressure to succeed and make a splash early. I like to think about Ira Glass, and something he said at a presentation one time. After playing a clip from the beginning of his career that he described "as having absolutely no evidence that I had any talent at all." he stated that in your twenties you have to practice, you have to feed your creative nature, and simply have faith in your innate talent, because it probably won't all come together until later. So I guess you just gotta have faith, faith, faith.

Now go listen to some George Michael to try to get that song out of your head.

2 comments:

  1. A coworker once told me that before I found Abby I "kissed a lot of frogs."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All my formers live in Clines Corners."

    "All my old girlfriends live in Kurdmenistan."

    "All my old ladies are now making gravies."

    ReplyDelete