Friday, October 10, 2008

Culture Shock


On Saturday, Tom and I attended our first wedding together. It was a wedding for one of Tom's friends from work and it had some distinct differences from the weddings I'm use to attending in Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas.

I've already realized that groom's cakes are not a tradition here, but we will have one. Of course everyone I talk to in Maryland only knows about one groom's cake- the bleeding armadillo from Steel Magnolias.

However this wedding was very different. There was a head table, which seems very common here, though I've only seen it one other time (at Buddy and Jill's wedding in 2006- btw their baby, Jack, is an adorable 1 month-old now!) However the introduction of the wedding party, family and friends by the emcee, was something I have never witnessed before- bridesmaids carried in by groomsmen, end zones dance routines, etc. I just chalked it up to being in the northeast.

Then came the tossing of the bouquet and garter. Tom kept talking about how nervous he was when he caught the garter at Dave and Rose's wedding. I thought it was sweet that he was nervous, but little did I know why he was nervous. At every wedding i have attended, the guy that catches the garter dances with the girl that caught the bouquet. When they asked for a chair, I assumed that the bride and groom were going to take a picture with the guy and girl. Little did I know what was to come. I fully understood Tom's emotions when I watched the guy that caught the garter, place it on the leg of the girl that caught the bouquet. I was shocked!!!

At least i don't have to worry about that at our wedding. Very few of our friends and acquaintances are unmarried. If there were more, I'd do cake pulls, but that's another Louisiana tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment